Blake

To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour. William Blake, from "Auguries of Innocence"

Friday, April 5, 2013

My Buglette

Dear Daughter,

Papa tried his hand at a poem today, because it is your birthday. It is hard for a Papa to put into words the love that he has for his daughter. I hope I got something across.

Just know, you are the most special person in the world to me.

The Buglette


A wrinkled nose, ruddy and broad
Fingers so tiny, rice-grained nails,
Deep blue-green eyes, squinting;
Cotton-capped and swaddled in stripes.

I held you in the sun, to tinge the jaundice,
On my forearm, you slept, like a lemur.
Wrapped like a bug, snugly and calm.
My life changed forever, forever in a day.

The greatest gift for your birthday, you gave yourself,
You were born, my dear, dear child.
Seven years gone by, but I remember,
I remember the moment you made me a father.

I Love you,
Papa

No comments:

Post a Comment